Monday, November 3, 2014

Ewww....Persimmons

Okay, I don't think persimmons are eww.


I just think they taste like nothing.


If you know me, then you know I'm a flavor gal. If I'm going to eat something I want it to have lots of flavor. My favorite cake is lemon with chocolate frosting and blueberry filling. Lots of flavor going on in that one. Are you catching a ride on the flavor train?

So, when my sweet neighbor presented me with a bag of 10 persimmons I freaked. And by freaked, I mean I went on a pinterest and googling safari.

And I found many good looking recipes for jams and fruit butter but all of them required the persimmons be pureed, and I don't know if you've seen my kitchen, but that's not happening in here.

Anyway, I finally stumbled upon this delicious sounding recipe from Cook Play Explore.

So, I adapted it to fit my current living situation. Here we go:

8 persimmons, peeled and chopped
8 tablespoons water, divided
4 tablespoons honey
2 capfulls of orange juice
about 2 tablespoons cinnamon
4 teaspoons flour

Combine  persimmons, 4 tablespoons water, honey, and orange juice in a saucepan and  bring to a boil over medium heat (for 5 minutes). Reduce heat to medium-low, add cinnamon, and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.

In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining four tablespoons of water. Add to fruit in pan and stir until thickened. Remove from heat and cool before storing.

I let mine sit in the fridge overnight. Then, I mixed it with my plain yogurt. It was scrumdiddlyumptious! 

What do you do with your persimmons?


01 02 03
04 05 06
07 08 11 12

1 comment :

  1. Sounds delicious. I usually add them to salads. Have a beautiful day, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete